According to Napa County records, this peaceful creekside site was farmed as a vineyard as far back as 1881. The Wiley Sneed family produced Zinfandel, “Burgundy,” Malvoisie and Chasselas here before tearing out the vines during Napa’s first phylloxera epidemic. Christian Brothers/Mont La Salle Vineyards bought the land in 1969, and replanted with dry-farmed Cabernet Sauvignon vines. These provided the fruit for Christian Brothers’ top wines in the 1970s and 1980s, before the return of phylloxera in the 1990s prompted another removal.
Viticulturist Steve Matthiasson discovered the property after years of unfortunate neglect, but its potential was obvious. He introduced the site to its current owners, who began restoring the land with organic and biodynamic methods. Under their meticulous stewardship, the vines and earth have regained their health, producing fruit marked by its sweet, juicy red character and smooth tannins.
|Appellation||Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley|
|Soil Types||Sandy, alluvial; silty loam over pure cobble|
|Average Vine Age||20 years|